Sunday, January 24, 2016

Digital Blog Post #A Chapter One

     First, as we all know technology is prominent in this informative day and age. Until I read chapter one, I thought nothing of the fact that there is a whole generation that has had constant exposure to technology since infancy. Technology has such a presence in the lives of the iGeneration; I can infer that they thrive in it. Technology is simple, second nature, and exciting to this generation. Therefore, as an educator, I now know that I must be sharp and proficient in my knowledge of technology. My experience with technology is minimal and basic, so I have a lot to learn. In fact, this is my first blog. I am excited to think of ways to utilize the creativity that technology offers within my curriculum as a future educator which leads me to my next topic.

     Second, the tools for teaching and learning through technology offers many advantages to educators, students, and parents. I learned that I can use technology to stay active and extend learning after school hours. I am most excited about this! As an educator, we only have so much time to reach and teach our students, so it is brilliant that I can create instructional and interactive learning methods through technology. The wheels in my head began spinning when I read this portion of this text. It would have never occurred to me that I could engage and interact with my students and their parents through blogs or an app for their smartphones. Ultimately, technology will make a difference in my ability to communicate and educate the generation that is enamored with all things digital. Therefore, I must learn how effectively manipulate technology to teach in a fun and exciting way.

     Third, digital identity is a new concept for me. However, I love the idea of creating a presence on the internet with my blogs, and interactive websites for my students, my student’s parents, and my future employer to visit. I am always excited to learn, and now I know how important the presence of technology will be in my classroom. I have typically avoided learning how to use the newest technologically. For example, when Facebook came out, I was the last of my friends to sign up for an account. I do not use Twitter or Snapchat. I guess I always assumed technology is a fad that will fizzle out. After reading this chapter, it is evident to me that technology is not only continuing to grow, but it is also an innovative and efficient way to educate. Okay technology, you have my attention.


     Overall, chapter one in the textbook, Transforming Learning with New Technologies, is pleasantly informative and full of valuable content that will benefit educators and aspiring educators alike. The purpose of this blog is to centralize and reflect on three topics that are personally paramount. Though the entire chapter was enlightening, the three things that captured my interest are an eye-opener for me. I thought this class would educate me on the types of technology used in schools, but now I can tell that this course will offer much more than that. I am very excited to learn how to build my digital identity and enrich the lives of my students using technology.

I love how the video below shows the evolution of technology in education, and how far it has truly come since the beginning of time!


Reference


Maloy, R. W., Verlock- O'Loughlin, R. E., Edwards, S. A., and Woolf B. P., (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

Rosen, L. R., PhD. (2010). Welcome to the iGeneration! Retrieved from https://www.ychologytoday.com/blog/rewired-the-psychology-technology/201003/welcome-the-igeneration


                SMART Technologies. (2011). The History of Technology in Education. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFwWWsz_X9s

No comments:

Post a Comment